Friday, October 18, 2013

Out of the Ashes

by Joan Vetter

    Heartbreaking images of the aftermath of cruel, destructive tornadoes flash across our television screens.  I can't even imagine how people can pick up and go on with the losses they experience.

    Only a year ago a tornado swept through our town, and trees became missiles of destruction. They slammed against houses, fences and vehicles with an angry vengeance.

    This morning I took the time to investigate the new walking trail built at the YMCA. Joy crowded into my heart and overflowed with gratitude as I recognized the pathway had been formed with the remains of those fallen trees. Then at the end of the trail  my heart was truly overwhelmed with the revelation of new life! There amidst the trees they built an outdoor chapel, complete with a simple wooden cross, a pulpit, and six benches.

Even though no one was standing behind the pulpit, I heard a message spoken loudly and clearly in my spirit.  God spoke,  "Never give up! Never give up! In spite of what may look like devastation, I declare there will be new life - trust Me!  Learn to expect the good,  for I know how to bring it about. Take your eyes off the distraction of loss and begin to expect the beauty of renewal."

    The Lord has much to say about the overcomer.  I personally believe it thrills His heart when we choose to rebuild what has been devastated or broken.  It may not look the same; in fact, often it will be even better.  I'm thinking of the times people have had a pipe or a water hose break.  At first it's just a mess, and not very many people start out being thankful.  However, after the insurance company pays for new flooring and restoration, it is easier to forget the frustration and pain involved at the time of loss.

    In fact, just recently I visited in a friend's home and commented on what a task painting the rooms would be with the high ceilings.  She laughed and told me the story of how she didn't like the color of the walls when they moved in.  When  they had a water leak in the ceiling, the insurance company said they couldn't see anywhere to stop with the re-paint, so they painted the entire kitchen, family room, foyer and hallway with a color she chose.

    If only we could always see a snapshot of the finished project!  But wait…God has something to say about that…how about, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1) 

    I remember reading about a woman whose son was severely injured.  She was praying for his healing and she looked out her kitchen window and saw a vision of him riding his bike on the lawn.  Time went by and he was healed.  One day she glanced out her kitchen window and  actually saw him riding his bike in the yard exactly like she saw in that vision. 

    When tragedy strikes, I believe we can keep our heart from being overwhelmed.  In Psalms we read, "When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I." (Ps. 61:2)  From the vantage point on that rock we are able to rise above the negative circumstance.

Once I was struggling to overcome self-pity.  I didn't actually realize I had succeeded until I had a dream where a doctor was examining an MRI of my brain, and he took a flashlight and said, "Look, there is no longer any self-pity in here."  It is on the rock we have a clear view of the road map to our restoration.

    Adrianna Haslet-Davis, a beautiful, blonde dance instructor was a victim of the Boston Marathon bombing.  When she woke up in the hospital she said to her Mom, "I feel like my foot is falling asleep."  Her Mom said, "Honey, you don't have a foot." She broke down emotionally, believing her life and career was over.

However it didn't take her long to sit before the television camera and say with a smile, "You have two choices - you can be the one sitting eating potato chips, not talking to people and feeling sorry for yourself, or get back up and keep going."  She said she wouldn't let one of her dance students come to her and say their life was over because of what happened.  The reporter said to her, "So you think we're going to see you on the ballroom floor?"  She replied with a radiant smile, "Yes, I know so."  She has already been talking with an engineer to design a special prosthesis for dancing

    Yes, there is a powerful hand extended to help us recover - it's up to us not to miss it!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment